Monday, July 5, 2010

Mexican Rice


This is a recipe my son, Cory, made to eat with our Navajo tacos last night.

1 1/2 t. oil
1/2 small onion, diced
2 c. rice
1 t. ground cumin
1 t. chili powder
14 ounce can diced tomatoes
1 t. salt
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 c. water
1 c. salsa (add more for stronger flavor)

In a large pan, saute onion and garlic in oil. Add rice, then mix in cumin, chili powder, tomatoes, salt, salsa and water. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until rice is cooked, (20-30 minutes) stirring occasionally.

3 comments:

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Love mexican rice. I could eat it by it's self!
~ingrid

Katy ~ said...

I can't tell you how many times I make something similar to this. It's an old favorite from when my mom used to make it. Gosh, I LOVE this stuff. I use the leftover white rice my BF refuses to eat when we go out for Chinese. I doll it up, and voila, I'm in heaven. I add cooked hamburg to mine, as well as some diced peppers. Load it on. I love it!!

Hopie said...

It was so yummy!!!!